From documents kindly donated we can trace the history of the house back to at least 1816.
In 1855 it was sold by the Spence family to William Fairlie Clarke (see Clarke family). Which is how it got its name
of Fairlie. The Clarkes retained it until it was sold in about 1913 to Elizabeth Turton, she lived there until
1926, then Cora Coates bought the house and lived there with her mum.
Originally on the site stood the blacksmiths shop and yard of William Appleyard during the early to mid 19th century.
The building was knocked down and replaced by a new house.
Sadly the house no longer stands today, but 2 new dwellings have been built on the site.
Back to houses